Specialty Certifying Exam & the Application Process
The Certifying Exam evaluates your approach to and rationale for the clinical care of various patient management problems in obstetrics, gynecology and women’s health. Your case list and structured hypothetical questions (possibly including visual aids) will be used by the examiners.
You'll be expected to demonstrate a level of knowledge that shows an ability to provide safe and effective care to women, and an ability to serve as a consultant to physicians who are non-obstetrician-gynecologists.
You'll also be expected to demonstrate that you've acquired the capability to practice independently; perform major gynecologic surgery and spontaneous and operative obstetric deliveries safely; manage complications; and perform essential diagnostic procedures required of a consultant in obstetrics, gynecology and women’s health.
Exam Eligibility RequirementsLearn More
Exam PreparationLearn More
Case List PreparationLearn More
Admission, Conduct, Non-Admit, AppealsLearn More
The 2019 Certifying Exams will be administered November 4-8, 2019, December 2-6, 2019, January 13-17, 2020, and February 17-21, 2020.
- Apply at abog.org beginning February 15, 2019, to take the Certifying Exam.
- Pay by credit card at the time of application.
- No other form of payment can be accepted.
- All fees are quoted and payable in U.S. dollars.
- The application fee cannot be refunded or credited against a future exam.
- Complete the Hospital Privileges Verification Form and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax it to the ABOG office (214-871-1943) on or before March 30, 2019. This form is available on your ABOG homepage.
- If you're a fellow, this form can be completed by your fellowship director.
- Late fees will apply for applications received after March 30, 2019. Review the full list of deadlines and fees.
- May 15, 2019, is the last day for receipt of an application to take the 2019 Certifying Exam. Applications received after this date can't be accepted.
- All inquiries, applications, and correspondence have to be in English.
- You'll be notified by ABOG no later than July 12, 2019, to submit a properly formatted case list electronically and to pay the exam fee.
- The case list must be submitted by August 1, 2019 to avoid a late fee.
- Case lists received between August 2, 2019, and August 15, 2019, will be assessed a late fee.
- Case lists won't be accepted after August 15, 2019.