MFM Case Lists
Preparation of Case Lists
- Submit the case list electronically by the published deadline.
- Use the electronic forms that can be found in your ABOG Portal. The use of any other form or format is not allowed. A paper case list is not acceptable.
- For the 2024 Certifying Exam, collect cases between January 1 and December 31, 2023. If enough cases cannot be collected in a 1-year period of time, the collection of cases can be extended to 18 months or 2 years. However, it may not include cases collected during fellowship.
- Not include any case previously used on a prior case list for a Specialty or Subspecialty Certifying Examination.
- Have the case list certified by the appropriate personnel of the institution(s) in which the care was given.
- De-identify the case list in accordance with the requirements of Section 164.514(a)(b) and (b)(2)(i)&(ii) of the Final Privacy Rule. See this tab titled: Case List De-Identification.
- Use standard English language nomenclature. Common abbreviations are acceptable. See this tab titled: Acceptable Abbreviations.
- List the patient only once. If the patient is admitted more than once, you should provide information regarding the additional admissions in the appropriate boxes.
If you are in a group practice where responsibility for patients is shared, the decision of whether to list a particular patient should be based on which physician had primary responsibility for the inpatient care. However, when asked to perform a consult on an inpatient on another physician's service, that patient may be listed.
The case lists must include sufficient numbers as well as sufficient breadth and depth of clinical difficulty to demonstrate that you are practicing the full spectrum of MFM.
All submitted case lists are subject to audit by ABOG to ensure completeness and accuracy.
Candidates who are unable to meet the case list requirements as outlined in the bulletin due to the COVID-19 pandemic should contact the ABOG Exam Department at email@example.com.
Content for Case Lists
A list of 30 patients (no more or fewer) from your practice with medical complications of pregnancy must be submitted online. Individual patients who presented with any of the following problems should be listed. The required number of patients in each category is listed below. Do not list more than the required number of cases, and a patient may only be listed once.
- Cardiac, cardiovascular (chronic hypertension) and pulmonary (asthma, pneumonia) (5 cases)
- Endocrine, including pregestational diabetes mellitus and thyroid disorders (5 cases)
- Gastrointestinal, including inflammatory bowel disease and gastric bypass surgery (2 cases)
- Hematologic and oncologic, including hypercoagulable disorders and thrombophilias, hemoglobinopathies and thrombophlebitis (5 cases)
- Immunological, including autoimmune disorders (collagen vascular disease) and transplants (3 cases)
- Infectious disease (HIV, pyelonephritis, hepatitis) (5 cases)
- Neurological and psychiatric, including drug or alcohol abuse (2 cases)
- Renal disease (3 cases)
A list of 30 patients (no more no fewer) from your practice with obstetrical and surgical complications must be submitted online. Individual patients who presented with any of the following problems should be listed. The required number of patients in each category is listed below. Do not list more than the required number of cases and a patient may be listed only once.
- Multiple gestations and complications including twin-twin transfusion syndrome (5 cases)
- Placental abnormalities, including previa, abruption, and accreta (3 cases)
- Hypertension, preeclampsia, and eclampsia (5 cases)
- Preterm labor and preterm cervical dilation or shortening (5 cases)
- Preterm premature rupture of membranes (PPROM) (5 cases)
- Recurrent pregnancy loss, cervical insufficiency, uterine anomalies, fetal demise (2 cases)
- Surgical (non-obstetric surgery, burns, trauma) (2 cases)
- Antepartum and peripartum intensive care, including mechanical ventilation or invasive hemodynamic monitoring, massive hemorrhage, pulmonary edema, acute renal failure, septic shock, anesthesia complications, ARDS (3 cases)
A list of 30 patients (no more no fewer) from your practice with genetics/fetal disorders/fetal anomalies must be submitted online. Individual patients who presented with any of the following problems should be listed. The required number of patients in each category is listed below. Do not list more than the required number of cases and each patient may only be listed once.
- Alloimmunization (Rh, thrombocytopenia), immune and non-immune hydrops (3 cases)
- Fetal anatomic malformations (8 cases)
- Fetal chromosomal and genetic abnormalities (8 cases)
- Fetal growth restriction (8 cases)
- Fetal infections (CMV, parvovirus, toxoplasmosis) (3 cases)